The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) the world’s leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibres, such as cotton and jute.
These textiles can then be turned into products such as clothing or bags, and for these products to be organic they must adhere to the requirements of the standard.
For a product to be GOTS certified, there are certain steps that must be followed by those producing cotton, jute, and other textiles that are GOTS certified.
Take a look at some of the key requirements below:
- Textiles must be 95% organic in origin
- Products must contain a minimum of 70% organic fibres
- Toxic chemicals cannot be used in the manufacturing process
- Textiles must meet specific quality standards in terms of how they hold up to washing and fading
- Dyes must be naturally derived or safe synthetics – these are further outlined in the 5.0 GOTS standard document.
- Manufacturers must have written environmental policies and procedures to monitor and improve the environmental performance of their facilities
- Organic textiles must be stored and transported in a way that prevents contamination due to contact with prohibited substances or conventional products.
- Any paper or cardboard used in packaging material for the retail trade of GOTS products must be made from recycled material or certified according to a program that verifies compliance with sustainable forestry management principles.
- Transportation methods and routes must be documented at all times
- Workers have to be treated well with safe working conditions
These are just some of the requirements outlined, but essentially, GOTS certified means that products have gone through a comprehensive process to ensure they are organic and sustainable throughout the chain of production.
Why invest in GOTS certified eco bags?
More people are now starting to become more environmentally conscious, and it’s important that businesses make this move too. Not only to serve their customers better, but also to lessen the impact that their products are having on our planet.
By ensuring you offer your customers GOTS certified cotton or canvas bags, you are sending a positive message about your brand and about your commitment to the planet. GOTS certified products are not only more sustainable, but they are also of the highest quality thanks to the processes that must be followed.
- Why a Pick and Pack Service Can Help Your Business - October 9, 2020
- What is circuit protection – and why is it important? - September 29, 2020
- Urban Creation and Bristol’s Ultimate Start-Up Vlogger Platform - September 24, 2020