Having a pool in your garden is a luxury an increasing number of people are enjoying. Even if you haven’t got your own pool, taking a dip in the local pool or the hotel pool when you’re on holiday is a pleasure we all like to make the most of whenever we can. When the temperatures are soaring, it can be great to cool down and splash around in the water. However, even when the temperatures are much lower, a swimming pool is a great place to be if the water is heated.
Before you jump in at the deep end, think about the heating system that is keeping the water warm and keep an eye out for the following pool heater danger signs. Most pool heaters come with safeguards, but it’s far better to be aware than sorry.
- Carbon Monoxide
Many pools are heated using natural gas or propane. When not installed or maintained correctly, they can be very dangerous. Gas pool heaters can cause carbon monoxide poisoning if the gases are inhaled for too long. A pool heater should be adequately ventilated and either located or ventilated outside.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Muscular twitching
- Being unable to think clearly
If you experience any of these, you should turn off the pool heater and leave the area. Before being used again, it is advisable to get the heating system checked by a gas professional.
The gas that is used to power the heating system is delivered through a series of pipes and connections. It is possible that these connections could develop leaks. If you notice the smell of rotten eggs, this could indicate there is a leak. However, it is not a sure way of detecting the problem, as natural gas is odourless and colourless.
- Lack of Maintenance
There are a lot of parts in a pool heater, all of which need to be properly maintained. Pipes, circuit boards, and igniters all need regular care in order to function safely. The parts are a little too complicated to repair and service on your own. Therefore, call a reputable pool maintenance service for help at least once a year.
- Chlorine Gas
Chlorine is not used in the heating system for your pool, but you will be using it to disinfect your pool. If you’re using chlorine in an indoor pool, there is a danger of nitrogen trichloride being released. This gas is very dangerous as it causes severe damage to the lining of the lungs. It is also possible for chlorine gas to be released in your pool room. A swimming pool gas detection system will warn you of any dangers.
Having swimming pool in your own garden is a truly luxurious addition to any property. However, it’s always best to be safe, rather than sorry. Therefore, being armed with all the information you need to make your swimming pool experience a safe one is the aim. Whether you’re on holiday or enjoying a swim in your back garden, make the most of it, but be safe at all times.
Latest posts by Edward Thompson (see all)
- What To Look For In An Online Hair Extension Course - October 14, 2019
- Planning a UK Trip with an Elderly Family Member - October 8, 2019
- Four favourite web design features to upgrade your site today - October 8, 2019